Friday, 8 August 2014

Under Repair - Healing Peeling Nails




Well, I discovered during my research on gel nail application that it is bad for your nails when you push back your cuticles. Doing this causes your nails to become dry and brittle, which causes peeling and splitting of your nails. This comes from dermatologists, so I would hope they know what they are talking about. I have never had gel nails or gel polish and have never worn fake nails either, but I have been pushing back my cuticles for doing nail art. Ah hah! This may be part of the problem as to why my nails have been splitting and peeling. So, this is something I am going to correct and I hope it will bring me healthy nails once again. 

Acetone also dries out your skin and causes brittle nails and quite a few nail polish removers have acetone. I don't change my nail polish every day, so I don't believe I have been overdoing it with the acetone. I moisturize frequently and lately, have been using oil treatments to help. Basically rubbing in extra virgin olive oil on my nails, cuticles and around the nail bed. (Jojoba oil is supposedly excellent for this, too!)
 
I am going to stop pushing back my cuticles and not wear any polish of any kind until I get things back to normal. Well, as normal as I can be. hahaha Without using nail polish, I won't need to use any nail polish remover, so that will help prevent more drying of my nails. I will try to do an oil treatment every day for at least a week and then every few days or so until my cuticles are good and healthy and my nails have repaired. 

This means no nail art posts of my nails for some time, but I will continue to post any nail related articles that I do for Metromela. If I can find anyone that is interested in having their nails done and allow me to photograph them to put on my blog, I may do that. Until then, I hope you will enjoy the articles that I share and with some good fortune I will be able to post new nail art pics soon. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment